YIDFF 89 Programs
- International Competition: 15 outstanding films were screened, selected from entries from around the world.
- Special Invitation Films: 6 films were screened.
- Works from Asia: 9 Asian titles were screened, including fiction features. Headed by Japanese filmmaker Ogawa Shinsuke, documentarists from Korea, Taiwan, Philippines, and other countries gathered together for The Asia Symposium.
- The Dawn of Japanese Documentaries: 44 films from the early beginnings of cinema to the end of World War II were screened.
- A Salute to Robert and Frances Flaherty: 6 films by the forebearers of documentary Robert and Frances Flaherty were screened.
- Prizes for the International Competition
The Robert and Frances Flaherty Prize (The Grand Prize):
The Crossroad Street Dir: Ivars Seleckis / USSR
The Mayors Prize (Prize of Excellence):
Route One / USA Dir: Robert Kramer / FRANCE
The Eye above the Well Dir: Johan van der Keuken / THE NETHERLANDS
Nobody Listened Dir: Nestor Almendros, Jorge Ulla / USA
Weapons of the Spirit Dir: Pierre Sauvage / USA, FRANCE
Time Has No Name Dir: Stefan Jarl / SWEDEN
Prize for Encouragement:
Over the Threshold Dir: Christine Lloyd-Fitt, Tezuka Yoshi / JAPAN, UK
- Weapons of the Spirit Dir: Pierre Sauvage / USA, FRANCE
- Total Films Shown: 80
- Attendance: 11,920