YIDFF 97 Programs
- International Competition: 14 outstanding films were screened, selected from entries from around the world.
- Jurors Films: 3 films were screened.
- Special Invitation Films: 9 films were screened.
- New Asian Currents: 41 titles by emerging Asian filmmakers were screened.
- The Pursuit of Japanese Documentary: The 1980s and Beyond: 35 films from the 1980s to 90s were screened.
- Japanese Panorama: A colorful spread of the newest Japanese documentaries. 7 titles were screened.
- Imperial Japan at the Movies: A program of documentaries, newsreels, and feature films produced in the Asian countries and Japan during World War II and the Pacific War. Through comparing and contrasting these films, participants obtained an understanding of wars influence on Japanese and Asian films. 69 films were screened.
- YIDFF Network Special Screenings: 3 titles were screened by Yamagatas citizen volunteer group, YIDFF Network.
- Japanese Classic Films: 6 classic Japanese feature films were screened.
- Prizes for the International Competition
- The Robert and Frances Flaherty Prize (The Grand Prize):
Fragments Jerusalem Dir: Ron Havilio / ISRAEL
The Mayors Prize (Prize of Excellence):
Africas: How Are You Doing with the Pain? Dir: Raymond Depardon / FRANCE
Paper Heads Dir: Dušan Hanák / SLOVAKIA
Tu as crié LET ME GO Dir: Anne-Claire Poirie / CANADA
La Comédie-Française ou lamour joué Dir: Frederick Wiseman / FRANCE
New Asian Currents Awards
- Ogawa Shinsuke Prize:
Out of Phoenix Bridge Dir: Li Hong / CHINA
Awards of Excellence:
Paradise Dir: Sergey Dvortsevoy / KAZAKHSTAN, RUSSIA
Work and Work Dir: Fuad Afravi / IRAN
A Port in Vain Dir: Yamazaki Mikio / JAPAN
Devil Bridge Dir: Temirbek Birnazarov / KYRGYZ
- Private Wars Dir: Nick Deocampo / PHILIPPINES
- Homesick Eyes Dir: Hsu Hsiao-ming / TAIWAN
London Brief Dir: Jon Jost / USA
“We Love Cinema” Awards
- Out of Phoenix Bridge Dir: Li Hong / CHINA
Neon Goddesses Dir: Yu Lik-wai / BELGIUM, HONG KONG
- Total Films Shown: 187
- Attendance: 22,875