YIDFF 93 Programs
- International Competition: 15 outstanding films were screened, selected from entries from around the world.
- Jurors Films: 9 films were screened.
- Special Invitation Films: 5 films were screened.
- Asia Program: Special program featuring emerging filmmakers from Asia. This year, the Ogawa Shinsuke Prize was inaugurated and has been presented to the most promising Asian director at each festival since. 28 titles were screened.
- Japanese Documentaries of the 1960s: 40 films from the 1960s were screened.
- In Memory of Ogawa Shinsuke: A program paying tribute to filmmaker Ogawa Shinsuke who passed away in February 1992. 11 films were screened, including those about Ogawa Productions.
- In Our Own Eyes / First Nations Moving Images: In an open air theater built especially for the occasion, indigenous filmmakers of the Native North Americans, South American Indians, the Maori (of New Zealand), the Aboriginal people (of Australia), and the Ainu (of Japan) presented their own images of their people. Live music and dance performances and parties were held daily. 23 films were screened.
- Japanese Films Panorama Theater & YIDFF Network Special Screenings: Coordinated by Yamagatas citizen volunteer group, YIDFF Network. 2 films were screened.
- Japanese Classic Films: 6 classic Japanese feature films were screened.
- Prizes for the International Competition
- The Robert and Frances Flaherty Prize (The Grand Prize):
Black Harvest Dir: Bob Connolly, Robin Anderson / AUSTRALIA
The Mayors Prize (Prize of Excellence):
Zoo Dir: Frederick Wiseman / USA
Living on the River Agano Dir: Sato Makoto / JAPAN
Losses to be Expected Dir: Ulrich Seidl / AUSTRIA
Elegy from Russia Dir: Alexander Sokurov / RUSSIA
- Ogawa Shinsuke Prize:
1966, My Time in the Red Guards Dir: Wu Wenguang / CHINA
- In the Name of the God Dir: Anand Patwardhan / INDIA
- Total Films Shown: 139
- Attendance: 20,509